Judie's BML Recipe - A Sugar Glider Modified BML Diet
Have you heard of Judie's BML Recipe? It is a modified BML diet created by Judie Hausmann. Judie has been breeding healthy sugar gliders for a long time and is very well respected in the sugar glider community. Her recipe is a modification to Bourbon's Modified Leadbeater's Mix (BML). She modified it to mask the bitter taste of the vitamin supplement. She says her gliders are eating better and are staying healthy after feeding this diet for over 6 years. We fed this recipe to our gliders for several months before switching toHPW. Our gliders ate it well and stayed very healthy. This is Judie's BML recipe:
Judie's Modified BML Recipe
Put in blender:
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg (boiled or microwaved, no shell)
- 1/4 cup mixed fruit blend of juice (ex. apple-white grape)
Blend well, turn off blender, add the following:
- One 4oz bottle premixed Gerber juice with mixed fruit yogurt (mixed fruit)
- 1/2 TEAspoon Rep-Cal Herpivite Vitamin Supplement (blue label)
Blend until smooth, turn off blender, add the following:
Blend until you reach a very smooth consistency. Pour into Tupperware bowl or ice cube trays, cover, and FREEZE.
- 2 TEAspoons Rep-Cal Calcium Supplement Non-Phosphorous with Vitamin D3 in it (pink label)
- Two 2 1/2 oz. jars of Chicken baby food.
- 1/4 cup Wheat Germ
- 1/2 cup dry baby cereal (mixed or oatmeal)
For one glider, feed 1 TABLEspoon Judie's BML mix, 1 TABLEspoon fruits, and 1 TABLEspoon vegetables nightly.
Use a frozen bag of mixed vegetables (corn, peas, & green beans) for the veggies. For the fruits, use a mixture of frozen blueberries, frozen cherries, fresh red grapes, and assorted melons.
- If freezing Judie's BML into ice cube trays, one cube should equal around 2 Tablespoons. You may want to test it out to make sure.
- You should be able to find the Gerber yogurt juice in the baby food aisle. If you can not find it, you can substitute it with 1/4 cup plain yogurt and 1/4 cup mixed fruit juice.
- The baby food chicken does not have the most pleasant smell. The chicken will say either Chicken with Chicken Gravy or Chicken with Chicken Broth. Either one is fine. You can also substitute the chicken with the turkey baby food.